It's a lovely, rainy day here on the island, though some might call it dreary.  Especially given the fact that I have three girls ridden with chicken pox under my care at this time.  But, in my mind, it's a glorious day.  

Outside, literally hundreds of birds are swarming the yard.  The air is thick with their joyous sounds: chirping, singing, calling out for no apparent reason.  With their songs they herald the afternoon rain and delight in the feast of worms driven up from the wet soil.  They swoop from the giant live oak trees to the grass, peck at the offerings and sweep back into the sky (despite the steady rain) to sing again.  They are mostly red breasted robins, but we've noted two cardinals and a few other smaller birds from unknown heritage.  I've seen this many robins here before, but I'm always delighted to watch the display.  

The girls also, were delighted.  These are not my children, but most of my roommate's brood.  Mine are on visitation with their dad for the week.  So, here we are, watching birds.  "Why do you think they're out there?" I asked the youngest two.  It was fun two watch them think and come up with the answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog